May 28, 2008

I'm a Christian!!!

I was just looking through a bunch of my friends profiles and realized under Religious views most of us don't have Christian. At least not in those words. I just love jesus, another follows him, another follows his teachings some are simply a bible verse. All ways to buffer the statement "Yes I'm a Christian" Now I'm not saying its bad to do this (especially since I do it too) I just find it very sad.

How did the term Christian go from a group of disciples that radically loved people, had strong community ties, cared for the sick and the widows, and shared the gospel with everyone. To a term coined for Right wing fundamentalists who are hypocritical, and judgemental??

Now I know its not likely that any of us can change the perspective of the world, but don't you think we could change our worlds. What my church calls "oikos" a greek word that refers to the 8-15 people God has stategically put in your life to have influence on.

It's time to rebrand Christianity. That name is powerful enough, we are calling ourselves a "little Christ!" Let's find some ways to get out in our community and love people because we're Christians. I want to be able to put myself aside because like it says in the book I'm reading, "If we are not willing to wake up in the morning and die to ourselves, perhaps we should ask ourselves whether or not we are really following Jesus."

So let's worry less about calling ourselves Christians, and focus more on being Christians. Any ideas??

6 comments:

Wes Van Fleet said...

AMEN!! Action Action Action!!! We get so caught up doing Christian things, listening to Christian music, buying Christian clothes that we forget to bless those who don't know Christ! Screw that stupid word Christian, I am a disciple of Christ, or am I!!

mo said...

Unfortunately I think that is the reason many people do not use it so flippantly anymore. So many people have tainted it's meaning, we ourselves as disciples, have tainted its meaning.

However, you're absolutely right in using action. If I say I am a disciple of Christ I better be able to back it up with how I live my life. So I think Being a disciple is much more important that actually Saying I'm a Christian.

God's love has so much more opportunity to shine through when we shut ourselves up and let him take over:) Love you Simon Peter. Thanks for that reminder.

NehemiahSD said...

Yeah what scares me is if more people refer to themselves as disciples of Christ without changing their actions that term will become tainted as well. Do you guys have any ideas on how we can flesh this out and actually do something right now??

Wes Van Fleet said...

We must take important roles in society. We have to be Christ in schools, politics, pop culture. We muct stop with all the politically correct BS. God is so far from Politically correct! We must shout Christ from the rooftops.

We have got to far off-track trying to be relevant and doing what works to share Jesus and not make people uncomfortable. Screw that, THE GOSPEL IS SUFFICIENT!!

Mindy Clark said...

As the old and very overused saying goes, "Actions speak louder than words". For me, that's it. It doesn't matter how many times I say I'm a Christian, if I'm not living it out, it means nothing. Thanks for the challenge!

Tonya said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ERIK! I CANNOT GET A HOLD OF YOU ON THE PHONE! KNOW WE ARE THINKING OF YOU! HAVE A GREAT DAY BUSTA!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
TONYA