February 17, 2008

United We Stand??


With the election process happening as we speak one phrase that we always say in America pops into my mind, “United we Stand”. That’s an interesting statement especially at a time where many of the candidates are sending back-handed comments in competitor’s direction. It leaves the American people in quite a predicament, if my candidate loses how can I support my other option that my choice openly bashed?? Let me help answer that… You can’t!!

Now, even though a person may think their ideas our better and may disagree with their views there’s a graceful way to bow out on competition or arguments. For example, when Rudy Guliani announced his retraction from election he stated from the beginning he felt that if he was not to be elected, Senator McCain would be who he supported. This allows a voter who liked Guliani to support McCain without feeling like a traitor, or being left bitter with the choices that our out there. On the other hand, Obama and Clinton have drawn the battle lines so thick I see it hard for supporters for the loser to switch alliances easily.

This brings me to my true point, how are actions showing that as Christians we are united?? Forget the denomination controversies, theological debates, and any other doctrinal non-essential issues. I’m talking on a one-on-one Christian to Christian level!


John 13:34-35 says: A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know you’re my disciples, if you love one another.”


This seems like such a simple command to follow and yet time and time again we argue, complain, and gossip about trivial things with others. The bible is pretty adamant about resolving differences with others (Philippians 4:2-4, Mt 5:23-24, Mt 18:21-35). The reason this is imperative is because these differences have been known to create tension, cause division, stop growth and even dissolve churches! Now I understand, and have used myself, the fact that the situation may be severe enough that reconciliation is hard. In comparison, though, Jesus stated this command moments before telling Peter he would deny him three times; moreover, this was hours before being betrayed by Judas, and crucified by the world he came to save.

With this new perspective on what love may require, we should be compelled to spread this unyielding love to all around us. Unity in Christianity allows people to grow through each other, link ideas for greater impact, and provide a strong front for world change. If politicians can see the importance of unity with their worldly perspectives, then how much more should we who share in the redeeming love of Christ!

1 comment:

Paul said...

great job on the post. I love your thoughts